Saturday, October 22, 2011

Why Tag?

     I don't get it.  Do you really need to know what websites interest me enough to be added to my bookmarks?  As my favorite first grader would say, "Seriously?"  Creating an account, adding links, and then sharing them seems to be another time-waster for me.  Yes, this may be useful for individuals using multiple computers in multiple locations.  But sharing my links?  Really?  Is the world that interested in my favorite websites?  Are you?
     Future employers might like to see what websites I frequent.  My links can determine if I am aware of relevant resources.
     Libraries can use this type of service to share links with patrons, but I find this redundant to other services.  Link pages on library websites already fulfill that objective.  User guides (pathfinders) do the same at the local level.  Do libraries have the resources available to maintain an account with a bookmarking website?  Not many do during the current economic climate.
     People without a computer and personal Internet access would find websites like Del.icio.us useful.  Patrons without a home Internet connection can use Del.icio.us and a Google account to fulfill their computer needs.  One service stores bookmarks and the other provides e-mail, blogging, document creations and storage, a homepage, and more.
     I created my Del.icio.us account, added links, and tried to sort the links into stacks.  Stacking my links did not work.  It may have been my browser.  I followed the directions, but were Del.icio.us stated ADD I could not find ADD.  I was not able to select individual links to add to a created stack and I was not able to save new stacks.  I doubt I would use this type of service for a long-term research project.  I am too leery of the lack of permanence on the Internet.  I might consider using it for a short-term project, but I would still back-up my links in my favorites and on an external drive.  This is another case of redundancy. 


Once I fix my laptop I will try different browsers.


Now for some law related links: 
I have shared the NYCRR with you in the past.  The NYS DOS website is a repeat, but needs to be shared again. 
The New York State (NYS) Department of State (DOS) Division of Code Enforcement and Administration (DCEA) (http://www.dos.state.ny.us/DCEA/) provides easy access to a wealth of information from manufactured homes to swimming pools.  The building codes, current AND past, are available, too. 
     Fire, plumbing, building, residential, energy, fuel gas, and other code books can be found at http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/ny/st/index.htm.  The 2010 books are current for today (no guarantee for tomorrow).  The 2007 books are also available at this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment